Friday, October 12, 2012

Music is Personal

Let me first start off saying that I look up to several accomplished runners who don't listen to music when they run. It is their time for peace, quiet, to pray, to train, whatever it is, they don't need it. I on the other hand NEED to listen to music on my morning runs. I'm pretty sure it is for the sole purpose of drowning out my heavy breathing, but regardless, my run is not complete without it. 

The best part about music is that is is personal. Each and every song out there speaks differently and sounds unique to all of us. We all have our preferences, songs that get you pumped up, songs that help you reflect, songs that bring you back to an exact moment in your past. Music is one of the only things in this world that everyone understands, yet sets us completely apart from one another.

For me, a good running song needs only one thing: a solid beat. When I blast my ipod as loud as it goes - whether is is pop, rap, country, or hip hop - that beat resonates throughout my body and helps each foot to take another step. I tend towards current hits, but usually throw an oldie in my playlist to help remind me of all the runs I have completed in my past (although my "oldie" is almost exclusively "All the Above" by Maino). 

My current playlist is:

1) Some Nights (Fun)
2) Good Time (Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City)
3) Stronger (Kelly Clarkson)
4) Give Your Heart a Break (Demi Lovato)
5) All the Above (Maino feat. T-Pain)
6) Shark in the Water (V.V. Brown)
7) Drive By (Train)
8) Back to Life (Sean Kingston)
9) We Run the Night (Havana Brown)
10) Scream (Usher)
11) 50 Ways to Say Goodbye (Train)
12) Don't Wake Me Up (Chris Brown)
13) Let Me Love You (Neyo)




No comments:

Post a Comment