Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It's 6am, Get Up!

I follow several blogs everyday and have contemplated for a couple years now if I could see myself writing my own, keeping up with it, and making it a new hobby. The blogs I currently follow cover the board from cooking to fashion to travel to dieting all the way to what I call diaries (which usually are the most interesting ones, because let's face it, who doesn't want to read someone's diary?)

But what should I write about? I am a decent cook, but don't venture too often with new recipes. I like to look presentable, but am no fashionista. And I have been dieting for what seems like the better part of my life and would never wish a diet on anyone. Ever. 

So I had to keep thinking and I do have one hobby that I've been working on since I was about 12, which is running. I have never run a marathon or even a half marathon, but getting my feet out on that pavement has given me 30 minutes of peace a few times a week for over half my life. 

Many people run and exercise because they say it is their best time to think and sort everything out. I am in fact the exact opposite - I run because for a brief time in my day my mind goes blank and is not filled with work, stress, relationships, diet, cloths, etc. So what then, you ask, could I possibly have to write about running? Hopefully something to keep your interest.

About a month ago, I started waking up in the mornings to run instead of waiting for the end of the work day. 6am comes very early every day, but it is SO worth it once I am out there in the quiet of New York City. Some days I run to Central Park and around the reservoir, but recently have fallen in love with the East River pathway. 

My view from the East River path



In the past week it has become a little darker and colder in the mornings. The East River path is lit, but every once in awhile a light will be out or I'll just space out for a minute or two. Yesterday, on about minute 20, I was gearing up for the 50 steps from the lower part of the pathway to the upper part (technically 3 flights, currently running up 2 and walking the last one, will let you know when I reach my goal of running all 3!) Anyway, I was grooving to my ipod which I keep no lower than full blast and came within inches of crushing an already dead mouse that was sprawled out on the path. Of course in reality only a couple inches long, in my head I couldn't jump high enough or get far enough out of the way to avoid this gigantic creature. As a jumped, lost my footing and fell over trying to grab the railing but miserably failing. As I cursed the mouse, a friendly fellow runner stopped to make sure I was okay as he was right behind me when I fell. All I could do was point and yell "MOUSE" as he came even closer than I did to stepping on it, and jumped even higher to avoid it! An obviously more experienced runner, he was able to keep his footing and not fall on butt, but thanked me profusely for helping him dodge the rodent and I swear he squirmed as he ran away. I picked myself up and kept going, up the stairs, which were a welcomed distraction!

I have lots of ideas of things to write about including other interesting happenings on the path, music to listen to, good clothes to wear, how to get yourself up in the morning, the right food to eat, and why morning runs in NYC are a great part of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment